Monday 21 June 2021

Champs | ABC | 1996

January 1996 - August 1996
ABC | 12 episodes | Sitcom


WHO'S IN IT? I don't recognise anyone.

SYNOPSIS: Sitcom about five friends - Tom a chauvinist, Vince a womanizer, Herb a doctor, and Marty a dour divorcee - who played on a championship basketball team in high school 20 years earlier (that's it, that's the show).

This was the first TV series produced by DreamWorks SKG; 12 episodes were produced, but the show was pulled off the air after four episodes, five were then burned off over the summer, and three were left unaired.

VERDICT: In first episode, several characters delivered the line: "It was 20 years ago!". I'm guessing that was the show's catchphrase? It seemed to be a family sitcom, but then also buddies that hang out together, with sports puns thrown in: "I'm raising three boys myself, fatherhood is a contact sport!". Though, by the end of the first episode I was sick of hearing about THAT game 20 years ago!

CANCELLED BEFORE ITS TIME? No, and definitely not a forgotten gem. I can't even find cast photos from the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment